Jackson has a great many historic buildings both commercial and residential. Some of the historic commercial buildings, mostly inns, B&Bs or restaurants, are listed first followed by the historic houses. The source for the material in the residential section is a pamphlet by Alice Pepper for the Jackson Historical Society discussing the 26 oldest houses in Jackson. Information also comes from, Summer Cottages in the White Mountains: The Architecture of Leisure and Recreation, 1870 to 1930, by Bryant Franklin Tolles.
Historic Inns, B&Bs and Restaurants in Jackson
Wildcat Inn and Tavern --
Carter Notch Inn -- When the Eagle Mountain House burned in 1915, this former summer cottage became the home of hotel owners Cyrus and Marcia Pinkham Gale. It later provided a place for the hotel's farm hands to eat their midday meal. As the Gale family grew, they expanded the house. Subsequent owners moved to the hotel when it became condos in 1987. After serving as staff quarters, the building fell into disrepair. Jim and Lynda Dunwell began receiving guests in 1995 after six months restoration. The inn is now under new management.
Christmas Farm Inn -- The original building, home of the Rufus Pinkham family, was built circa 1778. A hugh barn and the front porch were added in 1789. Owner Chase Perkins decided that innkeeping would be a profitable sideline to the ever risky farming business. Perkin's Cottages were so popular with summer visitors that he expanded by buying Jackson's first church from up the road and adding it to the inn. Perkin's daughter later sold the property to a gentleman from Pennsylvania who gave it to his daughter as a Christmas present. The next owners foresaw the postwar skiing boom. The inn became part of a growing network of trails under the ownership of Jim Powers, first president of the Jackson Ski Touring Foundation. Bill and Sydna Zeliff served as innkeepers for 24 years before passing
the reins to new owners.
Dana Place Inn --
Eagle Mountain House -- From the original farmhouse sleeping 12, the inn expanded to house up to 125 guests who enjoyed on-site skiing, snow-shoeing, hiking, sledding, and trout fishing. After a 1915 fire, a new hotel was built with a 280 foot veranda and 125 rooms with 100 baths. The pasture was turned into a 9-hole golf course along the Wildcat River. A total restoration in 1986 produced 94 privately owned suites. On the US Register of Historical Places since 1991, this hotel joins the Balsams as the second NH hotel awarded membership in the Historic Hotels of America.
Ellis River House -- This 1893 farmhouse was home to the ten member family of Andrew Harriman, a talented carpenter who built the three room village schoolhouse and the town hall. Although the property on the Ellis River did serve as a boarding house for locals and employees of the surrounding inns and lodges, it remained for the Lubao Family to transform the property into a 20 room B&B.
Inn at Jackson -- This Sanford White-designed summer home of the Baldwin (piano) family was first operated as a summer inn by Ella and Arthur Gray. The cottage has served as an inn under several names and with a number of inn keepers.
Jackson House -- Built circa 1868, this working apple farm provided Jackson with apples, cider, and honey. The farmhouse was lovingly renovated by Peter Hill and opened as a bed and breakfast in 1985. Since 1999 the Stevenson family has welcomed guests to their country home.
Nestlenook Farm -- Part of this structure was once a section of the Wigggleworth Farm, one of the oldest buildings in Jackson. It was moved from Thorn Hill Road in 1900 by Fred and Josephine Dinsmore and became their home. The first guests arrived in 1906 when it became the Nestlenook Inn. In 1945, it was renamed the Checkerberry then the Robinwood Inn. In the last few years, extensive refurbishing has returned the inn to the flavor of the Victorian era.
Thompson House Eatery --
The Village House --
Whitney's Inn -- For 42 years, the Moody's ran a complete farm and boarding house business. From 1936 to 1969, Bill and Betty Whitney developed the ski operation as well as the inn facilities.
Former Crowes' Nest B & B -- Built by Eddie and Marjorie Tricky March in 1922. A house and barn overlooking Jackson Village and above a small building now housing Badger Realty but formerly March's store.
The Oldest Homes in Jackson